Wuyuan County is located in the northeastern part of Jiangxi province. To the east of Wuyuan is famous historical and cultural city Quzhou, to its west is Jingdezhen city the capital of ceramics, Huangshan Mountain is located to its north, a well-known senic spot in south of Anhui province, to its south is Sanqing Mountain, another scenic spot. Wuyuan is like a bright pearl embedded the area among the three provinces of Zhejiang, Anhui and Jiangxi. The city has an area of 2947 square kilometers with a population of 330,000. It contains 18 towns. The central town is Ziyan.
Wuyuan County was founded in the 28th year of Kaiyuan of the Tang Dynasty (740 A.D) for over 1200 years. Wuyuan got its name as the origins of local water. The county is hilly, with eighty-five percent of mountain area, ten percent of field and five percent of river and village. It is a classic mountainous county in south of china. The highest summit of Dazhangshan Mountain in the north is 1630 meters high above sea level. Wuyuan has a subtropical moderate humid climate. The annual average temperature is about 16.7℃. Annual mean precipitation is about 1821㎜.
Wuyuan is known for its mountain wonders. Forest coverage is 81.5 percent that about 3.76 million Mu of land area. It is one of the timber production base and one of the advanced ecological agricultural counties, winning the title of “the best county in forestation”. Wuyuan is also called “ hometown of tea”, a key tea production area and tea exporter in China. Wuyuan is one of the first county groups with electrification in rural area. The total quantity of electricity from the small hydroelectric stations is 3.46 thousand kilowatt. The four local special products known as “the four local colors” are very famous all over China. “The Red” refers a freshwater fish cooked as “Fried Red Fish”; it is tender and delicious to taste, that had been selected to serve at the state banquet honored for American President Nixon and Japanese Prime Minister when they visited china. “The Green” is the green tea of Wuyuan, recorded in “classics of tea” in the Tang Dynasty, and “the best of tea” in the Song Dynasty. It won a silver medal for its characteristic with green thick soup and fragrance by Emperor Jiajing and a gold medal of Panama Global Exhibition Trade Fair. An American book said that the green tea of Wuyuan is the top quality of china. Today, the “Dazhangshan” green tea not only gains the certificate of “Grade AA Green Food”, but also wins a gold medal of Kunming World Exhibition Trade Fair. “The Black” is a kind of inkstone named dragon-tail, known as a bright pearl among inkstones. It was already famous for its fine features early in the Tang Dynasty and praised as “Champion of China” by Emperor Liyu in the Nan Tang Dynasty. “The White” is a kind of pear named Jiangwan Snow Pear. It is one of the highest-grade fruits with its big size, fragrance and brittleness. In addition, there are many souvenirs for tourists such as craft umbrella, articles made of bamboos, liqueur of Wuyuan and foodstuffs like mushrooms, and dried-bamboo shoots and dried brackens. You can choose them as gift to your close friends and relatives. The transportations of Wuyuan are very convenient. You can take bus to reach Wuyuan County from the cities of Shanghai, Hangzhou, Shenzheng, Guangzhou, Wenzhou, Ningbo, Jinhua, Changshu, Nanchang, Jiujiang etc. The telecommunications are more advanced with the program-controlled exchange and digital transmission.
Wuyuan lies on the frontier of Country Wu and Chu in ancient China. It is a propitious place with stronger scholar convention starting from Tang Dynasty. It was the birth place of great men such as Philosopher Zhuxi in the Nan Song Dynasty, Expert of Seal Cutting Hezheng in the Ming Dynasty, Economist Jiangyong and Scientist Qi Yanhua, Engineer of the railway Zhan Tianyou and Medical Professor Cheng Menxue in modern times. According to the history book, there were 550 successful candidates in the highest imperial examinations and 2665 officials of different levels between the Song Dynasty and the late Qing Dynasty. It was said that there were nine successful candidates in imperial examinations from one single family, and four high officials worked in six departments between the Ming and Qing Dynasty. Through several dynasties, 3100 books had been written by the scholars from the county, 172 books (1487volumes) of them were selected in SIKUQUANSHU “Imperial Collection of Four”. It is for this reason that Wuyuan is also honored as “hometown of scholars”.
Next we will give you a brief account on Wuyuan tourism industry. There are five traveling itineraries to take presently; each route can take full day.
The One. The central town tour: Culture square and Museum
(1) Culture Square It is located at the new town of Wuyuan, number two bridge of Zhan-Tianyou to its north between the west bank of Xinjiang river and road Xitou, the planning Hui-cinema to its south, the planning commercial zone to its north and Ziyan middle school to its west. It covers seventy thousand hectares areas. You can reach there from road Yuantou. The culture square surrounding with mountains and rivers is the center of the new town, symbolic landmark of Wuyuan city culture and meeting the demands of assembly, leisure and tour.
Wuyuan Culture Square looks like a butterfly with spread wings, reflecting the main meaning of “bridge”. The center of “bridge” is a circle terrace with one-meter diameter, a symbol of the Hui-style buildings, connecting the history and looking forward to the future. There is a column, connecting heaven and future, in the center of the circle terrace, which is the foundation of the column, and also the stage of Luo Dance. Eight totem columns around the terrace have two purposes, one for displaying the atmosphere of the history, the other for controlling the lamplight. “The bridge” as an axis, to its east lies in a carp pond. Five walls stand there; represent five keys of opening the door of future——Technology, Culture, Environment, Chemistry and Future. There is a map of Wuyuan at the end of west. Over the map, a fountain surrounding by water, prompting that Wuyuan is a region of river and lake. Block greenbelts on the both end of “bridge” continue it; make “bridge” full and regular. The carp pond with a fountain and the museum to the north together make the Culture Square a complete scenic spot.
The main theme of Culture Square is green and harmony. The Wuyuan Culture Square bears the tasks of letting visitors understanding the history, thinking nowadays and looking forward to the future.
(2)Museum It has the title of “the first county level museum of china”, more than ten thousand relics, that will open your view largely.
The Two. The east tour: Liken——Wangkou——Xiaoqi——Jiangwan
(1) river-bridge scene of historical village —Likeng. A rolling stream through the village lived by 260 peasant households and ancient buildings with its pink walls and black tiles and beautiful girls who are washing laundry reflecting from the stream look like a natural landscape. “Shengming Pavilion” is the witness of controlling on the villagers by the patriarchal clan system.
(2) “Wangkou Memorial Temple of the Yu Clan” is honored as an “Architectural Gallery” by ancient building experts for its magnificence, strict construction and precise craftsmanship and special style, all the parts made of wood are carved precisely and specially. Traveling in wangkou, you can walk on the millennial ancient streets, enjoy sight of the old houses, and drift in the long river.
(3) Ecological Oases——Xiaoqi A village built in the Song Dynasty, there are many special ancient buildings with its magnificence and precise craftsmanship, they are “Dungui Shrine”.”Jinshi Mansion”, “Mansion of Senior Official” and “Rongru Mansion”etc. The roads of village were made of small stones. You can see the fish swimming freely in the “Yangshen River”. Many famous ancient trees spread all over the village, all these picturesque landscape depicting the symbiosis of people and nature, and make you forget to go home.
(4) The Great Man’s Hometown—Jiangwan the place was given birth to a lot of great men like Jiangyong [Economist in the Qing Dynasty], Jing Yilin [Deputy Minister of Finance Ministry in the Ming Dynasty], Jiang Guigao [Official of Finance Ministry in the Qing Dynasty], Jiangqian [Educator and scholar of Buddhism during the late Qing Dynasty] and many others. There visitors can see many ancient buildings such as “Sanxing Hall”, “Dunchong Hall” and “Peixin Hall”; all these make people have the feeling of Jiangwan full of histories. In Jiangwan town, there is the “Late Dragon Mount” full of trees and the river with flowing water. It is a real earthy paradise.
The Three. The west tour Wengong Hill—Jingshan Tea Garden—Mandarin Ducks Lake—Youshan Village—Yanchun Ancient Stage
(1) Wengong Hill it is a famous provincial scenic spot. There are ancestral tombs of Zhuxi [Wengong] on the halfway up the hill. In Nan Song Dynasty Chunxi period  Zhuxi came back for visiting elders and planted twenty-four china firs personally surrounding the tombs, today sixteen of them survive over eight hundred years and grow well. The tallest one is 38,7 meters and the thickest one encloses 3,07 meters. All these trees gain the title of “the King Group of China Firs in south of china”.
(2) Mandarin Ducks Lake It is wonderful place with fresh air, green tress and clear water. It is the good ecological environment that several thousand couples of wild mandarin ducks migrate there for surviving the winter. It is a famous provincial scenic spot.
(3) You Shan Village Surrounded by Hills and river is the biggest ancient Village of Wuyuan, honored as “ thousands households Village”. The winding river through the village shaped like a fish. There are many ancient relics with Taoism Culture such as “Hanggu Pavilion”, “Tizhu Bridge”. They are the classical material evidences of the village influenced by religions.
The Four. The northeast tour Yan Village——Rainbow Bridge——Longtian Tower——Hongguang——Likeng——Hong Village
(1) The merchant buildings group of the Qing Dynasty—Yan village was built in the beginning of Bei Song Dynasty. There are 57 well-preserved local residence houses in the village, built between Qianlong and Jiaqing periods of the Qing Dynasty. These buildings most have the walls against the wind and fire, the roofs with black tiles The craftsmanship of “Three Carvings”[Brick carving, Wood carving, Stone carving] are more exquisite.
(2) Rainbow Bridge is a provincial landmark, built in the beginning of the Song Dynasty, with length of 140 meters, a width of 6.5 meters, with four piers and archways. It crosses the river of Wu like rainbow. The eleven pavilions in different way make a long corridor. It is simple and unsophisticated. There are corrals and seats on the both sides for tourist getting a view and having a rest.
(3) Longtian Tower was built in Wangli periods of the Ming Dynasty with structure of bricks. It is seven-floor tower with six sides and a height of 30 meters. Its eaves outstood gradually. Iron bells were hung on each eave made sound by the wind.
(4) The Famous Village with Hui-ink—Hongguan In front of Hongguan village, there is an ancient camphor tree over 800 years is honored as “The First Camphor Tree in south of china”. Its crown covers an area of 3 Mu, and it has a diameter of 3.3 meters, a height of 26.1 meters and grows well. The buildings such as “Changshen Hall”, “Lobby House” give expression to the agricultural culture and the religion.
(5) The Famous Village of Officials—Likeng Many ancient buildings are preserved in the village, such as “Senior Official Mansion” of Yu Maoxue [official in WanLi periods of the Ming Dynasty], “Dujing Mansion” of Yu Maozhi, “Tianguan -shangqin Mansion” of Yu Maoheng [Official in Tianqi periods] “Shima Mansion” of Yu Weisu [Manage of Ministry of War in Kangxi periods of the Qing Dynasty] etc. It is a provincial unit for the preservation of cultural relics and one of hundred counties with the title “Folk Cultural Village” in china.
The Five: the northwest tour Sixi—Rainbow Bridge—Linyan caves
（1）The village for the movie of “Liao zhai”—Sixi There 30 ancient buildings are preserved, built between the end of the Ming Dynasty and the beginning of the Qing Dynasty. “Jingxu Hall “covered an area of one Mu with classic rectangle well. It is one of the places for shooting film of “Liao Zhai”. In another residence, a “Bai Shuo Tu”(a hundred Chinese characters on longevity) is made of 96 characters in different handwritten styles, carved in the middle of twelve doors, that is regarded as “the unexcelled art”
(2)The National Forest Park—Linyan caves, there two caves named “Lianhua”and “Hanxu”have been developed. There are full of jagged stones, Underneath River with clear water. Many inscriptions were written by “Zhuxi” and “Yuefei”inside, all of them are valuable relics.
Some people say that Wuyuan is like a poem simple, unsophisticated and emotional, and some people say that Wuyuan is like a song, slim and graceful. No matter whether Wuyuan is like a poem, a song or a beautiful picture, please follow me enjoying it carefully.
Translation By: shen xiaohong(沈小红)